Sunday, January 25, 2009

He Said/She Said

Some people say black people complain too much. Some black people say that blacks are not treated equally and dismissed. Who is right? Well, as a black person I come from a black perspective. Do I think this country it equal? No. Do I think it's gotten better? Yes. Will America stay the course of social progression? I do not know.

What I do know, whether white or black (or in between, because America is not just white and black, and it has never been; ask the Native Americans), somethings should just be chalked up to the individual and not blamed on race.

Example:

During the Pac 10 game between Houston and Arizona (don't knock me for specifics I haven't been into basketball since the Hornets got rid of Larry Johnson), Aubrey Coleman (Houston team) steps on the face of Chase Budinger (Arizona team).

Here is a clip:


Okay, now let the race card game begin. I originally saw this story posted on Yahoo, and saw the comments were becoming very racially charged (I did not look at the comments on YouTube, the comments on that site are always about race and in a negative way). I took a look at the clip, and I made my own assessment of the situation. I'm not gonna say whether I felt that Coleman was right or wrong, because that will eclipse the story and I do not want focus on my opinion of the event itself. The issue that I am trying to make is what breeds racism and continues stereotyping is when you take a person and based their actions on their race. There are a number of reasons this incident could have happen:

  1. There might have been a pre-game argument (or an argument at a party) between these two men that we did not see which resulted in this moment.
  2. Possibly, Coleman did not see him there.
  3. Okay, Coleman saw him there and stomped on his face for various reasons.
  4. This school might have that much of a rivalry going on that it gets physical.
However, none of the reasons for this incident (had Coleman deliberately stepped on Budinger's face had anything to do with a black man lying with a black woman and having a black child. It has nothing to do with Coleman being black. Black people are not predisposed to violence and aggression, despite what the Media will tell you or perpetuate.

Chalk this up to Coleman being an obvious idiot (if he did this deliberate with out provocation). I'll even chalk it up to him being a young stupid, boy. But, at the end of the day if you really believe that people do what they do based on color, then you need to live around your own people. I suggest you get a ticket to whenever your ancestors are from and go home, cause no one belongs here but the Native Americans. Oh, before you go you might want to go to Lafayette "French" Bakery and pick up some of their "celebrity" Drunken Negro Cookies [read next post].

No comments: